On Saturday, June 2 from 9:00am to 1:00pm, Downtown Cornerstone Church will be partnering with Seattle Public Schools and Bailey Gatzert Elementary School in the Central District to help with some much needed painting, maintenance, and groundskeeping around the building in preparation for the coming school year.
DETAILS FOR THE DAY
It’s going to be an exciting and encouraging day and we look forward to all that God will do! A few things to note:
- Please plan to arrive at Bailey Gatzert by 9:00 am
- Get directions HERE.
- Limited parking is available at the school and street parking is available on surrounding streets.
- When you arrive, check-in at the white tent (see map below).
- Cloth work gloves will be provided, but feel free to bring your own if you would like to wear something more substantial.
- There will be painting indoors and outdoors, mulching, and planting so please dress appropriately in clothes that can get dirty.
- Although there won’t be a planned lunch break, you’re free to bring some food to munch on and we’ll have some snacks as well.
- We’ll provide water and cups, but feel free to bring your favorite non-glass water bottle to stay hydrated.
- If you post on social media throughout the day, use #dccservethecity.
- Invite your friends! What a great opportunity to work side by side with friends, co-workers, and neighbors! The more the merrier!
NEW THIS YEAR: TWO SCHOOLS
- Because of our growing size and the needs of the Seattle Public Schools, we’re going to send a few of our teams from Bailey Gatzert to nearby Washington Middle School.
- All teams will be formed at Bailey Gatzert after the morning kick-off, and those teams serving at Washington Middle School will carpool over. Teams will disperse at 1pm from their respective locations.
- If you’re able to drive others from Bailey Gatzert, please look for street parking near Bailey Gatzert when you arrive. Directions to Washington Middle School will be provided at the kick-off.
WHY ARE WE VOLUNTEERING IN THIS WAY?
- The Seattle School District has only 5 groundskeepers to maintain 34 schools in the South Seattle school district. This leaves many of the schools without adequate funding and manpower to maintain the properties. As such, these schools heavily rely on volunteer efforts to come alongside and help maintain their properties and facilities.
- We asked Seattle Schools where their current need is, and they told us Bailey Gatzert Elementary School. We’re excited to bless the school – teachers, administrations, parents, and students through our efforts!
- As a church, we believe that we’ve been infinitely loved and served by God, through the person and work of Jesus. Because of that, we believe that the good news of the Gospel is not only shared in word, but demonstrated in deed. Serving is not just “giving back” but a tangible expression of the Gospel of Jesus Christ – serving as we’ve been served, in Christ.
WHAT WE WILL DO?
- Painting and cleaning indoors
- Painting outdoors
- Misc Projects
WHO SHOULD JOIN US?
Everyone! Whether you are new to the city, a Seattle native, single, married, wanting to bring a friend or the whole family, there’s something for everyone to do!
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NEEDED?
Seattle schools will take as many volunteers as we can provide, and we are shooting to have 250-300 volunteers.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Register below and share this link with friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers!
WHERE SHOULD I GO WHEN I GET THERE?
We will meet in the school playground area in the back of the school at 9:00 to break into teams and assign tasks.
See map below:
WHAT IF I CAN’T STAY FOR THE WHOLE TIME?
That’s ok, join us anyway! Whether you can come for a bit or all 4 hours, we’d love to have you. Simply check-in at the tent at Bailey Gatzert when you arrive.
ARE KIDS WELCOME?
Absolutely! Bring the whole family, and if the kids get tired of “helping”, there’s a playground for lots of little “breaks” right next to where we’ll be working.
DO I NEED TO BRING ANYTHING?
If you’d like to bring your own work gloves, water bottle, or special snack, you’re welcome too, otherwise, we’ll have plenty of cloth work gloves, ice water, and snacks available (trail mix, granola bars, etc.) to munch on.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Plan to wear grubby clothes that can get dirty, or you don’t mind getting paint on. Cloth work gloves will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own work gloves if you prefer.
WHAT IF IT RAINS?
Bring a rain coat! Rain or shine, we’ll be there.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
- By Bus: 7, 9, 14, 27, 43, 49, 106, 309, 630 all stop within a few blocks of the school.
- By Streetcar: The First Hill Streetcar stops in front of the school.
- By Car: The School is located at: 1301 E Yesler Way Seattle, WA 98122 . Click HERE for directions. Limited parking is available in the school parking lot, and there’s street parking nearby.