April 2011 Prayer Update
We believe our Heavenly Father answers prayer.
Though we’ve taken a break from posting prayer updates, we haven’t ceased to pray. Just the opposite. The winter was an important season for us as we transitioned to weekly Sunday worship gatherings, multiplied our communities, cultivated missional and ministry health and prepared to launch – which we did on Sunday, April 3rd. Our Father has been faithful every step of the way, providing people, leadership, finances and meetings spaces in his sovereign perfect timing.
Now we’re moving into our next stage of development as we aim to roll out informal life-on-life discipleship group options, continue to focus on gospel intentionality (w/ an emphasis on evangelism), church partnership (aka membership), leadership development and more. But, amidst all this, our vision remains the same. We want to see the city, from the avenues to the alley ways, connected in real, vibrant, holistic, passionate faith to Christ – the God of this city.
You can read our last prayer update HERE. You can also receive email updates of new blog content by entering your email in the “Subscribe to Updates via Email” box in the right column.
Here are some snapshots of the last several months:
- Answered Prayer #1 (Launch Team) For months we’ve prayed for roughly 50 people to commit to partner in planting this new gospel work (aka Launch Team). We saw that happen, just in time for our public launch on April 3rd. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #2 (Worship Lead) Again, for months we’ve prayed for a worship leader to help lead our people in corporate song, build bands and work to create a sound that leads redeemed Seattlites in songs of praise to our King. Through several random events and chance encounters we witnessed God do just that in February. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #3 (Gathering Space) Four days prior to the start of our weekly Sunday worship gatherings we discovered we would not be able to use the space we were counting on. By the grace of God we secured a perfect transitional meeting space in an old antique mall, next to the Underground Tour, in Pioneer Square. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #4 (Permanent Space) But, the antique mall space was only available through March. So, we continued asking Jesus to give us a space that would be central, more visible (at least street level!), affordable and flexible. In March we signed an agreement with Court in the Square that fulfills our requests and more. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #5 (People who are not-yet-following Jesus) This winter we also a dramatic increase in folks that do not yet follow Jesus starting to share life with us, ask questions, be honest, and become part of our community. One received Christ last month. We are working hard to create an culture where we’re inviting people into our lives, not just inviting them to events. It’s working. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #6 (Avenues to the alley-ways) From the beginning, we believed Jesus was calling us to plant a church for those from the avenues to the alley-ways. Now we are watching Him move as he creates a diverse church from all walks of life, socioeconomic strata and backgrounds. It is one of my greatest joys to watch homeless men and executives worshipping Jesus together. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #7 (Networking) I continue to meet as many people as I possibly can to learn about what God is already doing in Seattle. He’s already at work in the city, going before us, and we’re humbled to participate. I’ve met some great people and so far we’re experiencing favor in the city. One of the results is that we’re seeing people join us who have never participated in a church before. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #8 (April) After many months of moving, vision casting, networking, praying, serving, planning and sharing the gospel we had a climatic April. On April 3rd we launched. The following week we were welcomed into the Acts 29 Network. Then, just two weeks later, we held our first-ever Good Friday/Easter gatherings. It has been an encouraging fruit-bearing month. Thank you, Jesus.
- Answered Prayer #9 (Family Update) Amidst all of this, the Lord has been exceedingly gracious to the Sinnett family. In March we celebrated Macy‘s (2) and Carter’s (4) birthdays. In April we celebrated Jen’s birthday, along with the birth of our new baby girl, Ella Faith. Not only was Ella’s birth a miracle, Jen was not required to be on bed rest for any part of the pregnancy (as she was w/ Macy). Jen and Ella are doing great. We’ve also recently sold two cars and purchased another. As always, more than we can handle, but never more than He can. Thank you for your prayers for our family…and thank you, Jesus.
For the next quarter, please pray:
- We would continue to be a church marked by a deep love for Jesus, pouring out into mission.
- Many souls will be saved and lives transformed through this new gospel work – starting this summer.
- We’d experience favor in Seattle.
- All of our financial needs will be provided for. Praying we can be self-sustaining by the end of 2011.
- That Jesus-loving, talented musicians and artists would continue to join this work.
- Seattle would be loved, served, challenged and changed through the gospel.
- Many Gospel-centered Jesus-loving churches would be planted through DCC.
- Practically, that we’d have wisdom to lead, love, plan, rest and work well.
Thank you for your prayers and support!
Because the Tomb is Empty,