Serve the City | Gatewood Elementary School
On Saturday July 26th from 9:30am to 2pm, Downtown Cornerstone Church will be partnering with Seattle Schools and Gatewood Elementary School in West Seattle to help with some much needed maintenance, groundskeeping, and painting around the school in preparation for the coming school year.
WHY ARE WE VOLUNTEERING IN THIS WAY?
- The Seattle School District has only 5 groundskeepers to maintain 34 schools in the South Seattle school district. This leaves many of the schools without adequate funding and manpower to maintain the properties. As such, these schools heavily rely on volunteer efforts to come alongside and help maintain their properties and facilities.
- We asked Seattle Schools where their greatest need is, and they told us Gatewood Elementary. Because of the lack of attention and resources over the years, Gatewood Elementary has experienced a massive overgrowth of vines that has taken over their playground fencing, and is quickly becoming a hazard.
- As a church, we believe that we’ve been infinitely loved and served by God, through the person and work of Jesus. Because of that, we believe that the good news of the Gospel is not only shared in word, but demonstrated in deed. Serving is not just “giving back” but a tangible expression of the Gospel of Jesus Christ – serving as we’ve been served, in Christ.
WHAT WE WILL DO?
- Weeding and mulching
- Removal of bushes and vines from fencing
- Refreshing paint on play lines and maps in the playground
- Misc Projects
WHO SHOULD JOIN US?
Everyone. Whether you are single, married, wanting to bring a friend or the whole family, there’s something for everyone to do!
ARE THERE ANY NEEDS BESIDES SHOWING UP?
Yes. We need team captains who can help keep groups of 5-20 busy, and be a point person for your team. Please indicate on the registration form if you are interested in being a team captain!
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NEEDED?
Seattle schools will take as many volunteers as we can provide, and we are shooting to have over 200 Volunteers.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Register HERE and share this link with friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers!
WHERE SHOULD I GO WHEN I GET THERE?
We will meet in the school parking lot off of SW Frontenac Ave at 9:30 to break into teams and be assigned tasks.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Plan to wear grubby clothes that can get dirty, or you don’t mind getting paint on. Cloth work gloves will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own work gloves if you prefer.
WHAT IF IT RAINS?
Bring a rain coat! Rain or shine, we’ll be there.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
- By Bus: The 116, 118, and 119 bus stops right in front of the school.
- By Car: The School is located at: 4320 SW Myrtle St, Seattle, WA 98136. Limited parking is available in the school parking lot, but there’s ample street parking on SW Frontenac, SW Fauntleroy, or SW Myrtle.
Email email@example.com for any additional questions!